Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Breakfast...It's What's For Dinner

Carson has recently developed a love for breakfast foods.  After eating mostly Chocolate Cheerios, bananas, and the occasional lopro pancakes, we finally have a few more things he will eat.  I am seeing some growth here!  I love it when we can break the monotony and expand our horizons a bit.  What a breakthrough! 

Several months ago, or more, I ordered 2 sample kits from Country Sunrise.  I highly recommend anyone out there with a PKU'er to try these products!  They are the neatest thing I have ever seen!  Carson fell in love with the Universal Egg Mix.  It is just a white powder until you add oil, then water, and voila!  It turns yellow!  You mix it up and pour it in a skillet and scramble it, and it looks just like scrambled eggs.  It also has a great flavor.  The most important thing here...Carson loves it!  I admit I am as in love with making it for him.  I also tried the Hot Dog Mix, which is equally neat and pretty yummy, but sadly, he wouldn't eat it this time.  At first he did eat one I made.  I will have to keep trying.  I can't wait to try more of the samples!

With Carson's tendency to be extremely habitual and picky, I was having a hard time filling up his tummy and meeting his phe requirements.  He was hitting a growth spurt and eating everything he could and asking for more.  Because he limited his wants to only a few certain foods, I knew I had to do something and fast.  He needed to eat more lopro foods.  His current menu includes several, but he needs more variety to fill him up.  He would eat Cambrooke's Mini Pizza Pockets, lopro bread and cheese or Biscoff spread, and lopro rolls, pasta, and rice.  I also use Cambrooke's MixQuick to make pancakes and chocolate chip cookies.

The addition of the egg mix has been a lifesaver for us.  For example, today Carson needs to do a washout because his level got a tiny bit high (I assume because of that day we ate Mexican food and tater tots in the same day!  lol).  His menu is much easier to plan today for this, because I don't feel so bad about not giving him his Cheerios.  He doesn't eat them as much now anyway!  Today he will have pancakes, eggs, toast, a sandwich or pizza pockets, applesauce, cookies, pasta, and rolls.  That's a much better variety, don't you think?  I am so excited!  Now, if we could just work some more vegetables into that diet...

To order Country Sunrise samples, visit www.pkuperspectives.com.  Look for the Country Sunrise logo and find Samplers.  They have a couple of different ones; I would suggest getting both the meat alternatives and the one that includes the eggs mix.  They are very affordable and it gives you a chance to try them before you spend a lot of money.  Good luck and happy cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share the love! Leave a comment please!