Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Carson the Awesome

The sky is the limit for this boy!
On this last day of Autism Awareness Month 2014, I wanted to reflect over this past year and the amazing progress Carson has made.  One year ago he first received a diagnosis of Autism Spectrum Disorder.  One year ago he started occupational therapy and private speech therapy, and also received both therapies through the school system.  In August of last year, Carson started preschool 3 half-days per week at the Cullman County Child Development Center, a special school for children with all kinds of developmental delays.

All of these things, along with general maturity, I am sure, have helped tremendously with his development.  This child is so different from a year ago.  Last year, Carson did not usually speak in full sentences, and most words he spoke were hard to understand.  There were times when I never knew what to expect from him:  what he wanted, how he felt, or what he understood that was going on or being said around him.  He was nowhere near being potty-trained.  Today, this child can argue with me.  He tells me how to drive.  He answers me when I ask him what he wants to eat.  He tells me if his tummy hurts.  He tattles on his little sister.  He is brutally honest.  And he talks about the baby in my belly (he has decided she should stay there; he doesn't want her to come out and play with him and Maggie!).  And he is potty-trained.  All by himself.  He tells me when he needs to go.  None of these things did I dream possibly would happen within a year.  At least not all of them collectively. 

Yesterday, we went for his semi-annual PKU checkup at the UAB Department of Genetics.  The doctor he has seen there the last few times, Dr. Maria Descartes, was so amazed with his progress over the last 8 months since she had seen him, and she just went on and on about it.  She remembered how he cried and fussed and did not want to be there, even seemed afraid (or annoyed).  He did not want to cooperate with anyone and would scream and cry if anyone tried to get near him or get him to do anything.  Yesterday, my big boy climbed up on the exam table, pulled up his shirt, and said, "Listen to the baby in my tummy, doctor!"  He cracks me up.  He loves going to the doctor.  Dr. Descartes declared that Carson was "awesome", and taught him to say so.

Tomorrow, we register for kindergarten at our local public school.  A typical school with all different kinds of students.  Tomorrow we take a giant leap of faith.  This mommy is scared to death!  I know this is just the beginning, just the legal/formality part.  We have not yet had his IEP meeting to discuss all his needs.  That will be coming soon, I am sure.  Everyone at preschool says he is ready.  I worry about how much help he will need.  No one is even sure if he needs an aide!  There is so much to consider, so much to be done, so much paperwork, so many decisions, so much planning...but it is going to happen.  Starting tomorrow.  I cannot believe it.  I never imagined it would be here this soon...or that he would be ready.  But I think he is.  I hope I am.

Everyone who knows Carson and is around him at any time is amazed.  I am constantly amazed by the leaps and bounds he has made.  It is so much easier to communicate with him now.  It helps that he can relay that he understands what we are telling him.  That makes meltdowns easier to diffuse before they happen.  We can explain plans to Carson before they happen, and when he knows what to expect, he handles it so well (most of the time).  Of course, because he has autism, he still struggles with things.  He has times when he cannot transition from one thing to another without getting upset, or times when he is focused on something and doesn't seem to hear or listen.  There are moments when he does not seem to understand what is going on.  There is a need for routine and sameness, repetitive things.  He wants to do everything himself and to always be first.  If these things don't happen, some days there may be a meltdown.  But for the most part, compared to a year ago, it is diminished.  He is easier to rationalize with, although sometimes so stubborn that he would argue whether or not the sky is blue!

It feels like a fog has been lifted from around Carson's head.  He seemed so far away, so hard to reach, but now he is with us.  He sees us, he hears us, he talks to us.  I am beyond thankful for all the reasons that he is where he is today.  I am thankful to Dr. Lane Rutledge, his other genetics doctor at UAB, for setting us on this path to have him evaluated and diagnosed.  I am thankful for Early Intervention beginning speech therapy with him right away, over two years ago.  I am thankful for all the therapists that work with him now, privately and at school.  I am thankful for his teacher and aides and nurse and everyone at the preschool who has any contact with him.  I am thankful for all my closest friends and their children, who help me by lending a listening ear or a shoulder to cry on, and for allowing our children to spend time together and learn from each other.  I am thankful for our parents and grandparents and all our close family members who care about Carson, take an interest in all things to do with him, who have patience with him, and have taught him so much of what he knows already.  And for helping me by being willing to babysit so I can be with Carson at therapy and learn how to help him at home.  Most of all, I am thankful to God for sending me this precious gift, the most precious little boy who is such an inspiration and such a treasure to my life.  I am thankful for being entrusted with his care, and for being equipped with all the tools I need to make sure he gets everything he needs to flourish and grow and learn.  We are definitely beyond blessed.

And Carson is definitely AWESOME!

I want to stress again to all parents out there who have been given any reason to believe their child is developing differently in any way, to have them tested.  Take them to a professional, whether they are behind in speech, or motor skills, or social communication...there are therapies for all of these things!  There is NO shame in admitting your child needs help!  The best thing you can do for your child is to find the help he or she needs, and you need.  Early intervention is the key, and it is the best thing that can happen for you, your child, and your family.  Don't delay!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share the love! Leave a comment please!