Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Autism Awareness

As this Autism Awareness Month comes to a close, I want to say that I hope I helped to raise a little awareness in some way.  I have only been involved for a few short weeks, and in that time all I have done is written posts and shared things on facebook.  I hope to become more involved in the future, as making connections is a great way to get information about services and ideas to help in personal situations. 

Carson is still very young and we have no idea what the future may bring for him.  I know whatever that may be, God has a very special plan and purpose for his life.  He has blessed Carson so much already in his short time here, and I am so excited and hopeful for his future!   I know we have many "awareness months" to come, but hopefully one day this will all lead to some kind of cure, whether it is new information about the brain and how to treat or repair it, or the final perfection of gene therapy.  I have read some very informative information about gene therapy in the PKU Newsletter, and it helped me understand what the trials are like and what problems they are facing, with all trials, not just PKU.  Researchers, from what I understand, are having trouble finding a vehicle in which to get the corrected genes into the body without being rejected or causing serious harm.  I believe one day they will find a way, hopefully in Carson's lifetime.

Until then, every April I will be wearing my puzzle pin, writing posts on my blog, and sharing information on facebook about autism.  I will be walking and spending money and raising money to make sure my child is not forgotten and is accepted and hopefully understood.  And every day, not just today, I will fight for him to have the best and most exciting, happy life of any child in the world!

So when you see us in Walmart, or the grocery store, or at school, and Carson is having a bad day, try hard not to judge my parenting skills.  Don't think that I don't discipline my child, teach him right from wrong, or show him how to behave in public.  Don't be offended when you ask him a question and he doesn't answer you, and don't let it hurt your feelings if he screams as soon as you walk up to us.  It is not personal.  Carson is not a bad child.  He loves people.  He has moods just like we do, and sometimes those come in extremely loud packages.  Just know that I am doing everything in my current power to help us through any situation we face, and I am trying my hardest to help him adjust to the world around him so that one day, maybe he can have a better understanding and deal with situations himself.  I am promoting his independence.  I am his mother, and I am SO proud!  And try to remember there are many other mothers out there like me, going through these same things, so think before you speak, or judge, if you do at all.  We just need a little peace and a little uplifting.  Thanks for your patience.

Happy Autism Awareness Month!  And good luck to all you newbies out there, like me.  :)

4 comments:

  1. Jen, that was a great post. I had tears in my eyes as I was reading and thinking about Carson, and my Aaron as well. Sending you an email! I love you, cuz!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for leaving a comment! Finally, somebody left a comment! lol Love you too, and I appreciate it. I am thinking about y'all too. :)

      Delete
  2. I've "followed" your blog for a long time, but haven't actually been on to read for months now, maybe even longer (I lost track of time). I just wanted to say that I can understand (to an extent) where you are, how you feel, and some of the struggles and joys you go through. I am a mother of 3, one with Autism. I'll be sure to go back and read previous posts as soon as I get a chance, in the meantime, good luck and God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for writing! I look forward to reading about your family too!

      Delete

Share the love! Leave a comment please!