Tuesday, December 8, 2009

We're All High

Ok, so maybe I could have chosen a better title for this post, but I knew it would get some attention! Of course we are not talking about drugs! I am talking about blood tests. Carson and I both received news from our blood tests last week that our levels were high. Carson's phe level was 10.7, the highest it has been since we started treatment. I know that he is supposed to be ok, but it still makes me nervous. It was last checked 9 days before that, before Thanksgiving, and it was 5.2 then, so it doubled in 9 days. I don't understand how all that works, but I expected it to be lower. Anyway, the doctor gave us orders to do what is called a "washout"; we have to give him phe-free formula only for 24 hours. Then they gave us a new recipe to mix for his formula. They made it for 32 ounces, which is more because he is getting bigger. Last time he weighed 12 pounds and 15 ounces, so he should be well over 13 pounds now. We will find out tomorrow, when we go to have his blood checked again. Here's hoping we're back in the normal range!

My level that was high was my thyroid hormone. I have a very wacky thyroid problem. Several years ago, my doctor discovered that my thyroid was VERY high after many tests proved that my heart was not the problem. By the time we finished running all the thyroid tests, my thyroid was LOW! So I have been taking thyroid medicine ever since. Two years ago, after I had a miscarriage, I began having the symptoms again. My thyroid level had suddenly gone up! The same thing is happening now. Almost 4 months after having my baby, I was having symptoms again. I went to the doctor last week to have him check it, and they called me yesterday to tell me it was high. So now, once again, I get to cut my thyroid medicine in half. I will go back in 6 weeks to have it rechecked, and hopefully it will be normal. Of course, it would also be great to not have to take the medicine at all anymore!

So, we're all high around here. Like I told someone yesterday, if it's something freaky, it's going to happen to us!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share the love! Leave a comment please!